Our journey with plastic packaging
We are a small company with big ambition to leave a positive impact where we tread on our beautiful planet. After food safety and quality, our major priority is to move our entire range towards a more planet friendly packaging solution.
Because seaweeds easily absorb moisture, we need to ensure we have adequate barriers in our packaging to ensure the product does not become moist (more likely to harbour bacteria). This immediately limits our options, based on the technology currently available in New Zealand. We aim to find an option, which is affordable for our customers, whilst improving the status quo significantly each time we make improvements.
We don’t believe we will ever ‘arrive’ at the perfect solution – it will be a constant evolution as new technology becomes available.
- Ideally we would have seaweed packaging but this is not feasible at present
- Compostable plastics need the right conditions to breakdown and New Zealand is not yet mature in the practice of composting. Additionally we cannot yet guarantee that the moisture barrier properties of compostable packaging will be adequate for seaweed.
- Glass and aluminium have both quality and sustainability attributes but as we ship many products online, glass is prohibitive.
- We need to ensure our packaging supply is reliable to minimise disruption of supply for our customers
- Compostable packaging and soft plastic recycling in NZ are relatively immature industries in NZ – there is no perfect solution yet and the industry is in a massive state of flux as it tries to re-calibrate to better serve consumer demand for high quality packaging which is environmentally friendly
We’ll keep you posted on our journey and appreciate your feedback and input, and your patience as we transition our entire range.