Al Brown’s Craydog with Nori (Karengo)
This Al Brown recipe is a new way to eat crayfish featuring Karengo, the wild nori seaweed which provides great flavour and a nutritional boost. Recipe & image by Al Brown
- STEP 1
3 x Crayfish tails
- STEP 2
1 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
1 Tbl Fresh Wasabi (or 1 ½ Tbl processed green wasabi)
2 tsp Soy Sauce
- STEP 3
1 Cup Flour
3 Eggs (beaten)
2 Cups Panko Breadcrumbs
1/4 Cup Sesame Seeds
1/2 Cup Nori Flakes
6 x Half Crayfish Tails
Flaky Sea Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
6 Hotdog Sticks or Bamboo Skewers
- STEP 4
3 Limes (halved)
- Step 1: Preparing the Crayfish
- Take the crayfish and place in the freezer for 30 minutes (so technically the fish are just starting to freeze). Remove and thaw. Just that little bit of freezing makes it possible to remove the tails from their shell as a whole piece. Its near impossible to do this when they are fresh. Halve the tails lengthwise, remove the poo tube, and gently peel away the shell. Chill tail meat until required.
- Step 2: Wasabi Mayonnaise
- Place all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir together. Refrigerate until required.
- Step 3: Crumbing
- Pre-heat your oven to 200 degrees.
- If you’re using hotdog sticks, you will need to sharpen each to a point on one end.
- Take three bowls. In the first place the flour, in the second the beaten eggs, in the third combine the panko breadcrumbs, sesame seeds and Nori seaweed flakes.
- Season the halved crayfish tails. Place in the flour then pat off any excess, dip in the egg, then roll in the Nori bread crumb mix. Carefully insert the hotdog stick into each portion, forming the crayfish into ‘sausage like’ shape with your hand as you do so.
- Refrigerate until required.
- Step 4: Cooking and Serving
- Place a skillet on medium heat. Add a little canola oil, and once hot, sauté the Craydogs for 1 – 2 minutes until golden brown all over. They will brown quickly. Remove from the hot skillet and place on an oven tray. Cook in the hot oven for a further 4 – 6 minutes, until the Craydogs are firm to the touch, and hot through.
- Simply serve the Craydog with a dollop of wasabi mayo and a wedge of lime.