Buckwheat Risotto with Sea Lettuce & PumpkinCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
This Buckwheat Risotto with Sea Lettuce & Pumpkin is colourful and a deliciously satisfying & warming dish. The Sea Lettuce adds a bright green touch, flavour & much nutrition to the dish.
Photo from Vibrantplate.com
150g buckwheat grits/grains, slightly roasted
1 small green pumpkin, diced
2 medium onions, cut fine
thyme and rosemary to taste
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp red balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp cashew nuts
3 tbsp pumpkin seeds, roasted
Kelp Salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp Sea Lettuce Flakes or chopped leaves to garnish
- Warm the oven to 200C.
- Stir the buckwheat grains into boiling water for 1 minute to rinse, drain.
- Toast the grains in a little olive oil for 5 minutes to give a nutty flavour , then add water (or kombu stock for extra flavour & nutrients) and cook for 15 min.
- Let buckwheat stand for 10 minutes after cooking.
- Meanwhile, mix together the cut pumpkins, onions, oil, vinegar and herbs. Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- In a dry pan, roast the other nuts and seeds until golden and fragrant.
- When the buckwheat is ready, mix all the ingredients and sprinkle with Sea Lettuce Flakes.
- Tip: Make it with Barley or use buckwheat if you prefer gluten free
- Tip: Don’t add salt to your grains while cooking – it makes them tough. Add kelp salt to taste after cooking for the salty taste with added nutrient boost.