Butternut Squash Soup with Smoked Kelp and Dulse
This Butternut Soup is nutritionally and visually enhanced with the addition of kelp and dulse seaweed seasonings.
1 large butternut squash
1 head of garlic
olive oil to roast the squash
500ml of vegetable stock
1 tbsp Kelp seasoning
Kelp Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 small tin of coconut cream
Dulse flakes (1/3 tsp per person or to taste)
black sesame seeds to garnish
chopped parsley & chopped macadamia nuts (optional)
- Heat the oven to 200 C.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise, sprinkle with oil and bake in the oven with the garlic for 30 minutes or until golden & tender.
- Cool for a few minutes so it can be handled. Spoon the golden flesh out & squeeze the cooked garlic cloves out of their skin and transfer into a food processor.
- Add some of the stock, the Smoked Kelp and puree until smooth. Adjust the thickness of the soup to your liking by adding more stock and check seasoning.
- To assemble, ladle the soup into warm bowls.
- Drizzle with coconut cream and garnish with Dulse flakes, black sesame seeds, macadamia nuts (if using) and parsley.