Easy Fish Pie Recipe with Dulse
This is an easy fish pie recipe with dulse – a nourishing and scrumptious meal full of flavour and nutrients – the ultimate comfort food.
750g assorted fish (gurnard, cod, salmon, prawns & scallops)
4 cups milk
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup plain flour
3 green onions thinly sliced
Sea Salt & freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp Dulse flakes or chopped dulse leaves
Mashed potatoes, seasoned with kelp salt, pepper & butter or cream.
Garnish (optional): 50g Panko crumbs mixed with 30g melted butter
- Warm oven to 180 C.
- Poach the fish lightly in milk with the bay leaves & salt/pepper.
- With a slotted spoon, place the fish in an ovenproof dish. Set aside.
- Make a Bechamel sauce:
- Melt butter in a saucepan, and add green onions.
- Cook over medium heat until foaming.
- Add flour. Cook stirring for 1-2 minutes until bubbling. Remove from heat.
- Slowly add the strained poaching milk, whisking constantly, until smooth.
- Return to heat and cook, stirring until the sauce comes to a boil, thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Add Dulse and gently combine with the fish mixture.
- Cover with mashed potatoes, dot with butter (or with the panko crumbs mix) and bake for about 30 minutes until browned.
- Serve with blanched vegetables or a side salad.