Grilled Tofu Steak Recipe with Edamame, Wakame & GingerCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
This Grilled Tofu Steak Recipe with Edamame, Wakame & Ginger is by Bill Granger. The sauce and salad make it delicious and the addition of seaweed adds extra nutrients and flavour.
3 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp mirin
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3cm fresh ginger, grated
2 tsp sesame oil
2 spring onions, sliced
- Edamame Salad:
150g edamame, shelled
6g dried wakame seaweed
150g cucumber, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- For the tofu:
500g firm tofu, drained
Cornflour, to dust
3 tbsp light-flavoured oil
- To serve:
Black and lightly toasted white sesame seeds or furikake seaweed seasoning
- Whisk together the soy sauce, mirin, garlic, ginger and sesame oil in a bowl. Stir in the spring onions and set aside.
- Bring a pan of boiling water to the boil, add the edamame and blanch for 30 seconds. Drain and refresh under ice-cold water.
- Put the seaweed into a bowl, pour 100ml water over and allow it to re-hydrate for a few minutes, then drain.
- Toss together the edamame, seaweed and cucumber in a bowl.
- Cut the tofu into eight 1.5cm-thick steaks. Place the cornflour in a bowl, season with sea salt and black pepper and coat each tofu steak on both sides. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a high heat and cook the tofu in batches for 2 to 3 minutes on each side till golden-brown and crisp. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Arrange the tofu on plates with the edamame salad and sprinkle with furikake seasoning, drizzle generously with the sauce and serve with the steamed rice.