Roasted Beetroot Recipe with a Sea Salt CrustCourse: SidesDifficulty: Medium
This roasted Beetroot recipe with a Sea Salt Crust is not as salty as it sounds. The salt keeps the moisture and kelp salt infuses a gentle umami flavour.
pPhoto & recipe by Lisa Hubbard for Epicurious
2 cups of sea salt
5 tbsp prepared horseradish / german style is best!
2 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
1 tbsp orange peel, finely grated
3 large unpeeled beetroot, trimmed & scrubbed
- Horseradish Creme Fraiche:
1 cup creme fraiche
1 tbsp prepared horseradish
1 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
2 tsp sherry wine vinegar
- For the creme fraiche:
- Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl to blend. Season with Kelp Salt & pepper to taste. Refrigerate until needed.
- For the beetroot:
- Pre-heat the oven to 190 C. Mix the salt, horseradish, thyme & orange peel in a medium bowl. On a baking sheet lined with baking paper, place 3 tbsp mounds of the salt mixture. Top each pile with a beetroot than cover all the beets with the remaining salt, pressing it firmly around each beetroot. The beetroot should be covered completely.
- Roast the beetroot for 1 3/4 hours.
- Remove from the oven, crack the salt crusts open and remove the beets. Cut into slices and serve with the horseradish creme fraiche.