Nourishing Seaweed Stock RecipeDifficulty: Easy
This is a nourishing Seaweed Stock Recipe used in Japan as a base for miso soup and stews. This vegetable & seaweed stock is nutritious & delicious and offers lots of minerals & umami flavour.
3 liters of water
1 tbsp dried Wakame seaweed
5-6 strands Sea Spaghetti
5cm piece of Kombu strip
2 tbsp Nori Fronds
1 medium onion including skin for colour, sliced roughly
1 small carrot, sliced roughly
1 handful of dried porcini mushrooms
1 stick celery
1 cloves garlic + small piece of fresh ginger
fresh thyme, parsley & coriander stalks
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot, cover and bring to a simmer slowly.
- Simmer gently for 1 hour.
- Cool & strain into a large bowl or jug.
- The pieces of seaweed and mushrooms can be chopped and returned to the stock if desired.
- Seaweed stock is used in Asia as a base for miso soup and for stews. You can just use kombu strips (for a traditionally Japanese approach) or you can try a combination of seaweeds (whatever is in your pantry), and land vegetables and herbs to make a nourishing stock.