Shitake Miso Soup Recipe with WakameCourse: MainDifficulty: Medium
Shiitake Miso Soup with Wakame Seaweed is a delicious variation of the comfort food of Japan. It is made using umami stock and wakame seaweed which gives it wonderful flavour and added nutrients. Make up the dashi stock or a raw umami broth before you start this recipe (see below).
- Soak Wakame in tepid water for 5 minutes, chop bite-size.
- Sauté mushrooms in a pan until golden. In a pot, warm the stock to a simmer. Spoon the miso into a small bowl & add in a small ladle of the stock and whisk until you have a smooth slurry.
- Add that back to the pot, then simmer gently for a few minutes, making sure not to bring it to a boil.
- Add the other ingredients and serve immediately.
- Note: if you prefer Wakame really soft, simmer the soup without boiling for 15 minutes.
- Tip: Since miso is a fermented paste, it should not be cooked at high temperatures otherwise the good bacteria & enzymes it contains will be destroyed.