Spicy Vegetable Stir-Fry Recipe with WakameCourse: SidesDifficulty: Easy
This spicy vegetable stir-fry recipe with Wakame has a lovely mixture of greens and with the addition of seaweed it has extra nutrients and flavour – this meal is very nutritious as well as tasty!
1 tbsp macadamia oil
1 shallot sliced
2 spring onions sliced
1 bunch of bok choy, trimmed
1 bunch spinach, trimmed
1/3 cup dried Wakame
¼ cup coriander leaf
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 cm piece ginger, grated
½ small chilli, chopped fine
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp honey
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp lime juice
Freshly ground black pepper
- First make the dressing by combining the ingredients. Set aside until needed.
- Re-hydrate the wakame in tepid water for 5 minutes; then squeeze excess out.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and cook the shallots & spring onion over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, chop the bok choy, taking care to separate the leaves from the crunchy stem, cut the spinach.
- Add the chopped bok choy stems and stir around with the onions for a couple of minutes, until the stems start to soften.
- Add the bok choy leaves, chopped spinach and the chopped re-hydrated wakame to the wok and toss over high heat for another minute.
- Add the dressing and stir until just wilted.
- The vegetables should be different shades of green, very bright in colour and crunchy in texture.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with herbs and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
- Spinach is known for its mineral content (in particular iron), Bok Choy is a Chinese cabbage full of antioxidants, vitamin C and folic acid, and wakame is also rich in iron, but has a wonderful combination of calcium, magnesium and potasium, as well as being low in sodium and high in detoxifying fibre.
- Tip: The key to this dish is to not over-cook it. The vegetables have to be warm but bright green and still crunchy. For this reason, this dish should be served immediately and doesn’t do well re-heated.
- Note: A small amount of dry wakame goes a long way! It increases 10 times its weight and size upon re-hydration.