Sweet Milk Custard Recipe with Sea ChicoryCourse: DessertDifficulty: Easy
This sweet Milk Custard Recipe with Sea Chicory will give you a creamy textured, delicious dessert loaded with many essential nutrients.
Photography credits: Quentin Bacon
8g dried Sea Chicory
400ml milk (for dairy free alternative use almond or soya milk)
:emon rind curl
4 tsp coconut sugar, maple syrup or 2 tsp honey
Natural vanilla essence
Cinnamon, fresh fruits, honey-orange water & pistachio nuts
- Soak the Sea Chicory in cold water for 3-5 minutes.
- Drain and add the seaweed to the milk and add the lemon rind curl.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes until milk thickens slightly.
- Strain the milk to remove seaweed and lemon rind and add sugar and vanilla to sweeten to taste.
- Pour into mould(s) while still hot.
- Refrigerate to set.
- Chef’s Tips: Jellies may set lightly (eat with a spoon) or more firmly (un-mould them) depending on the natural levels of carrageenan in the Sea Chicory at the time of harvesting. Using seaweed in this way imparts many vitamins and minerals to the dessert, and the jellifying ingredient in the seaweed is soothing for the digestive tract.