Tuna Recipe with Kombu SeaweedCourse: MainDifficulty: Easy
This tuna recipe with kombu seaweed has a very special umami flavour. Seaweed’s high concentration in minerals is a substitute to salt during the curing process.
Recipe by Eric Ripert & Photo by John Paul Urizar for Food & Wine Magazine
- In a bowl, cover the Kombu Leaves with warm water and let stand until softened, 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
- Line up the Kombu Leaves side-by-side on a large rimmed platter and rub with the lemon half. Set the tuna in a single layer on the Kombu and wrap the leaves around the fish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- In a bowl, whisk the 2 teaspoons of lemon juice with the orange zest and oil and season with smoked salt. Add the endive and toss.
- Peel off the Kombu and transfer the tuna to plates.
- Sprinkle the fish with smoked salt and serve with the endive salad.