“Roasting the vegetables along with a trio of umami-rich ingredients (miso, mushrooms, and kombu) give this meat-free broth a deep, satisfying flavour that can be used in a variety of soups or braised dishes. You can even sip it on its own or top it with scallions and fresh chiles.”
* the vegan jelly present in some seaweeds is said to be nourishing & soothing for the body’s membranes & cartilage/joints.
Vegan Broth Recipe with SeaweedDifficulty: Easy
This vegan broth recipe with seaweed is made by roasting vegetables along with umami-rich ingredients (miso, mushrooms, and kombu), which gives this meat free broth a deep, satisfying flavour and a raft of extra nutrients from the addition of seaweed.
2-3 tbsp white miso paste, to taste (or use 1/4 cup nutritional yeast instead)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
8 dried shiitake mushrooms
4 stamp-size pieces of Kombu and one tbsp equivalent of dry Wakame
2 medium onions, unpeeled, halved through the root, very thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, unpeeled, very thinly sliced
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
2-3 thin slices of fresh ginger root
I piece of fresh tumeric, cut fine or 2tbsp dry tumeric
a handful of green leaves (spinach, silverbeet or kale)
6 sprigs parsley
1 tsp black peppercorns, 1 dry chilli – whole (optional)
Any fresh herb from the garden (thyme & coriander stalks are good!)
Optional: 5g Sea Chicory Seaweed, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes *
- Preheat oven to 300 C. Whisk miso, oil and 2 tbsp water in a small bowl (omit this step if using nutritional yeast – just add the yeast to the water after grilling the vegetables with the oil). Crush mushrooms, Wakame& Kombu Leaves with your hands over a baking sheet lined with baking paper. Add onions, carrot, celery, garlic and parsley and toss to combine. Drizzle miso mixture over vegetables and toss to coat (just coat with the oil if using nutritional yeast). Bake, tossing halfway through, until vegetables are slightly shriveled and mixture is fragrant, ~ 60 minutes.
- Transfer vegetable mixture to a large pot. Add remaining ingredients and 4 litres cold water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until broth is reduced, ~ 60 minutes. If desired, add reconstituted Sea Chicory for the last 20 minutes of simmering to release the seaweed jelly with similar benefits to that of collagen.
- Let broth cool, then strain through a fine mesh sieve into a large bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids.
- Cover & chill until needed (3 days) or freeze up to 3 months.
- Lovely to sip garnished with fresh coriander, finely sliced spring onion & fresh chiles or with a sprinkle of Wakame Fronds, beware – Wakame expands a lot! (10x)