Wakame Pesto Pasta RecipeCourse: LunchDifficulty: Easy
This wakame pesto pasta recipe is delicious, easy and quick to make. You can eat it either hot or cold topped with parmesan.
350g penne/spiral pasta (any preferred pasta can be used)
2 chicken thighs
15 cherry tomatoes cut in half
1/4 cup dried wakame seaweed
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cracked pepper
1/2 tsp chilli flakes (as desired)
1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Cook pasta in a saucepan of boiling, salted water, until tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup liquid.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add wakame and enough cold water to cover. Soak for 5 minutes, or according to package directions. Reserving 2 tbsp soaking liquid, drain wakame.
- Dice chicken into small bite size pieces, use a frying pan oiled with a drizzle of extra virgin oil to completely cook chicken and leave aside.
- In a food processor or blender, pulse drained wakame, basil, lemon juice, extra- virgin oil, garlic, salt, pepper and chilli flakes. This should create a nice pesto paste.
- Return pasta to pan. Add reserved liquid and stir in the pesto. Stir to combine. Stirring, for 1 to 2 minutes or until pesto is through all areas of the pasta then slowly add the chicken and tomatoes.
- Top with parmesan and serve either hot or cold.