Why eat a raw Nori snack, you ask? We have been fans of raw nori seaweed for years and we continue to offer larger boxes of both wild harvested and farmed nori (also known as karengo in New Zealand). But our mission is to make it easier for people to eat seaweed everyday~ to remove the barriers so people understand how to use it, and eat it with no fuss. Our new product is therefore not ‘new’ but it is newly packaged to make it easier, in grab-and-go 2g sachets. Read on to learn why it is the very definition of the ‘perfect healthy snack’!
Nori is one of the most well known edible seaweed species ~ commonly use to make the sheets that sushi is wrapped in, and we like to snack on.
5 Reasons Why You Should Eat this Raw Nori Snack – Why it has a 5 Star Health Rating!
But did you know the best way to eat Nori is raw? We harvest and air dry nori to preserve it’s nutrients. The seaweed sheets one can buy have typically been made into a pulp with additives and flavourings added, then baked or fried. It’s like eating crisps, rather than the potato its made from! You may have felt an oily sheen in your mouth after eating some of the options on the market and this is no surprise as some of them are almost 50% fat!
Here are 5 reasons why you should eat raw nori snacks:
- Raw Nori offers an excellent source of iodine – just one 2g sachet contains 109% of your RDI* for iodine. Iodine is essential for thyroid health which controls the body’s metabolism and many other important functions. Click here to read about how much iodine is recommended in New Zealand and Australia.
- Raw Noro offers a good source of Vitamin B12 – just one sachet of this delicious, raw nori provides 62% of your vitamin B12 RDI. If you follow a plant-based diet, it can be challenging to find foods rich in Vitamin B12 as B12 is most commonly offered from animal protein – this article from the Mayo clinic provides more information on this for vegans and vegetarians. Vitamin B12 is key to building immunity, brain function and energy levels when consumed as part of a healthy and varied diet.
- This raw seaweed snack has less fat and more plant protein – there is NO fat added to this seaweed snack – it contains only 4.5% naturally occuring fat. This is about a tenth of the fat that is commonly found in highly processed seaweed sheets. Additionally, Nori tends to have the highest protein content of all the seaweed species ~ this 2g sachet is 35% plant protein!
- The grab-and-go sachet makes it so easy – reach for a raw, perectly healthy snack and keep going! Enjoy the feeling of making a ‘better’ choice when it add this to your handbag, lunchbox, picnic basket, beach bag or back pack.
- The packaging is fully recyclable – seaweeds absorb moisture so unfortunately; they can’t be packed in compostable bags as the moisture barrier offered by compostable packaging is not yet sufficient to maintain the moisture protection standards we need to keep seaweed food safe. However these sachets, and the box this raw snack comes in, are fully recyclable through your local soft plastics and cardboard recycling schemes.
This raw Nori snack is so good! Good for you AND good for our planet!
*recommended daily intake
Disclaimer: This material is provided for educational purposes only and IS NOT intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. We encourage you to seek personalised medical advice from a qualified health practitioner if needs be.