Manuka Smoked Atlantic Dulse Flakes – A Flavour Sensation!
If you are already a fan of dulse’s flavour, you will be astounded by this flavour sensation. The subtle sweetness of the Mānuka wood smoke softens and intensifies the naturally smoky flavour of dulse to create this natural, gluten and dairy free seasoning which will bring a burst of smoky umami flavour to your plate – making it easy to integrate seaweeds into everyday cooking with added nutrients and colours that pop on your plate.
Atlantic Dulse is a densely nutritious and popular red seaweed for three reasons:
- its micronutrient density – a deeply cleansing and nourishing seaweed
- its wonderful, naturally smoky flavour – it’s commonly referred to as “the vegan bacon”
- it’s deep crimson colour which brings vibrancy to meals.
Well, we tried hot smoking Atlantic dulse flakes to see what would happen to the flavour and had such a great reaction from customers and chefs who tested it for us, that we decided to launch it as a new product! The Herald, New Zealand’s national newspaper heralded our Manuka Smoked Dulse Flakes as the most innovative product in the Auckland Food Show in 2021.
Manuka Smoked Atlantic Dulse Flakes are made from Atlantic Dulse leaves which have been milled. The Dulse was harvested from an organically certified area and are Eco-cert Certified.
We test for contaminants according to the ANZ Food Standards Code.
Grown in EU (Ireland or France). Hot Manuka Smoked and packed in New Zealand.
Read our Dulse blog articles
- Health benefits of Dulse – Why Eat Dulse
- How to Use Dulse in your food
- If you are wanting pure, raw Dulse flakes, please see here.
Ingredients: Dulse (Palmaria palmata) seaweed 100%.
Storage: Dulse is light sensitive and may lighten in colour if exposed to sunlight for extended periods of time. Store in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Seaweeds are hygroscopic, meaning they absorb moisture from the air, so seal securely once opened.
Allergens: MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF: Crustacea, Fish (molluscs).
Warnings: Contains naturally occurring iodine. Excessive consumption may exceed recommended daily dietary intakes which could have adverse effects.
Wild harvested: Check for detritus.
Recycling our packaging
- We recently added cardboard boxes to our range to ensure the stores who stock these products can stand them on shelf as the pouches we previously used fell over constantly! Please pop these into your worm farm, or in kerb side cardboard recycling.
- The plastic pouch can be recycled through soft plastic recycling schemes. Ideally we’d not use plastic but as seaweeds are hygroscopic (attract moisture) we need to ensure we can keep the seaweeds food safe. Compostable options don’t currently provide adequate moisture barriers. Please read more on our packaging journey here.
- These are fully recyclable or reusable.
What is the white powder on Dulse flakes?
You may notice a white powder on your Dulse flakes – this is the result of the amino acid, glutamine, which naturally rises to the surface as the leaf dries. This what powder is not to be mistaken for mould. It is the very thing that gives Dulse its umami flavour.
Need more information?
Read the product reviews below.