This Seaweed Starter Bundle contains Atlantic Dulse Flakes 25g + Power of Three Seaweed Flakes 18g +Citrus Furikake 50g.
All three seaweed seasoning products are tested for contaminants in accordance with the ANZ Food Code. The seaweeds in these bundles are all sustainably harvested, locally where possible, or from European waters due to the fact that they either don’t grow around New Zealand shores, or we are not able to secure a food grade level harvest locally.
All seaweeds are hand packed in our food grade facility in Auckland and tested for contaminants to comply with the New Zealand food code requirements.
Storage: Store in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Seal securely once opened.
Allergens: MAY CONTAIN TRACES OF: Crustacea, Fish (molluscs).
Warning: Contains naturally occurring iodine. Excessive consumption may exceed recommended daily dietary intakes which could have adverse effects.
Wild harvested. Check for detritus.
Why Cook with Seaweed?
Why cook with seaweed?
If you are new to cooking with seaweeds, we hope the following reasons about why we think everyone should cook with seaweed inspire you, as they have done us. This starter pack helps to take even an earlier step – just season what you have already cooked with seaweeds, or use any of the seaweeds in this pack as an alternative seasoning to salt. If you are planning to cook with seaweeds here is some food for thought:
- Seaweeds offer the original source of umami flavour without the need for adding chemicall enhanced seasoning. You will note on the frond of a dried wild harvested seaweed, that a fine white fluffy powder rises to the surface of the frond as it dries. This is glutamine, an amino acid which is naturally occuring in seaweed and is the source of umami flavour. The Japanese scientist who invented MSG was trying to replicate this powder in his lab when he created this chemical version. Read more in this blog article to understand the role seaweeds play in umami flavour. You no longer need to use chemically laden seasonings in your kitchen when you have delicious seaweeds in your pantry.
- Seaweeds are naturally rich in a range of minerals and trace elements, many of which are unandant in the ocean but depleted in our soils. When you add seaweed, you add a salty flavour but with less sodium and higher mineral content so this is a fabulous alternative for those on a low sodium diet.
- Seaweeds offer plant based, chemical free seasoning options for someone who loves to cook but cares about healthy choices as well. Seaweeds are carbon negative foods – requiring no additional water to grow, no fertiliser and producing a significant amount of our planet’s oxygen, whilst absorbing carbon dioxide.
- Each seaweed in unique in its flavour and texture, in the same way that brocoli and kale are very different to each other, although they are both green land vegetables!
In summary, we are fans of adding nutrients and flavours to food naturally, through whole food sources, rather than taking supplements or using chemically enhanced seasonings. When you embrace seaweed as a seasoning alternative, you get a boost of nutrients (many of which are not present in land plants, and certainly not in the conentrated amounts that seaweeds offer) PLUS wonderful new umami flavours and textures.
Read here about all the ways seaweed can nourish our bodies.
Check out our other seaweed bundles – large soup bundle , bakers delight, foodie adventurer
The Foodie Adventurer contains: Sea Spaghetti 30g + Sea Chicory Red 25g + Manuka Smoked Dulse Flakes 25g. Please see individual nutritional panels for full nutritional breakdown.
How to use the seaweeds in this bundle
How to use the seaweed starter bundle?
Adding just a little seaweed everyday is really the best way to introduce seaweeds. Because of the nutrient density in seaweeds, one does not need to eat a large amount. Using seaweed as a seasoning on what you are already eating is the simplest, quickest way to get started with seaweed.
- Atlantic Dulse flakes – known as the ‘vegan bacon’, dulse has a naturally smoky flavour. Dulse has a number of surprising health benefits. Sprinkle these into scrambled eggs, onto avocado, use in savoury baking or read this article for a number of other ideas on how to incorporate dulse into your daily life. You can purchase dulse in a full leaf format and there are refill options available if you find you have become a fan! Many people who follow detox programmes sprinkle dulse flakes into their smoothies as the red seaweeds naturally help with eliminating toxins. You can read more about how seaweeds can be used for cleansing here.
- Citrus Seaweed and Sesame seasoning – also known as citrus furikake. This is one of our most popular products – it contains a blend of three seaweeds, each of which provide different flavours and nutrients. This is delicious as a garnish on rice dishes, noodles, into soups, onto blanched vegetables, stir-fries or salads. Some people use it instead of salt as it provides a salty flavour (naturally in the seaweeds) but with added nutrient density due to the minerals and trace elements in the seaweeds. A friend also pops it into his pastries and savoury baking recipes to add extra umami flavour and new colours. Also available in a refill pack.
- The power of three seaweed flakes – pop seaweed flakes into your savoury baking to add delicious umami flavour and as an alternative to salt. The power of three contains sea lettuce, Atlantic dulse flakes and sugar kelp – a blend of a green, brown and red seaweed, which gives you added flavour, colour and a burst of extra nutrients. Simply delicious in focaccia, savoury scones and breads/sour dough. (Refill pack available here).